Decisiveness: I think of myself as being very decisive - once a decision is made (usually quickly) I am quite happy to follow it through and fight my corner. This is what the results showed:
- I can be very commanding and take charge more than follow.
- Sometimes I become argumentative even when I don't mean to be (sometimes I don't even notice)
- My approach is forceful and direct.
- I am a strong self-starter with a high sense of urgency.
- I am practical and want to get results quickly without fluff or delay
- I like a good challenge, seek freedom and look for a lot of variety.
Interactiveness: I thought I would score high on this one as I have to interact with lots of people and think I'm talkative and outgoing. This is what the results showed:
- I appreciate an open door policy with both peers and supervisors
- I like a flexible environment that allows for creativity
- People may find me charming to meet and to converse with on a variety of topics (not sure I agree with that one!)
- I work best when I am able to interact with others.
- I can be an effective coach or counselor for others (I was pleased to see this).
- I prefer an environment with ample people contact.
Stabilizing: I thought I would score low on this as I'm not someone who likes to stay too long in one place. This is what the results showed:
- I can multitask fairly well
- I have a sense of urgency to get things done now, but not without planning or thought.
- I prefer a fast paced environment but one that is not frantic or chaotic.
- I prefer a moderately structured environment.
- I appreciate the need of others to have more freedom and less structure.
- I like being mobile and on the go, but like a home base to return to from time to time.
Cautious: I thought I would score low on this one as I don't really like to stick to rules and standards and prefer to work more independently. This is what the results showed:
- To me rules are guidelines, not concrete. (Couldn't agree more!)
- I am practical and realistic.
- I may be perceived as being non-committal by some.
- For me the end justifies the means.
- I'm fine with change when it improves efficiency.
- I am persistent in trying to get the message across, even in the midst of resistance.
The report goes on to recommend ways of being more effective based on my scores/behavioural style. Here are some things I definitely need to take account of. Overall I can be more effective by:
- Having support staff to handle the detail work (Oh yes, I would love this!)
- Being around others who share my high level of urgency.
- Being aware that my level of aggressiveness and tenacity may be offputting to others.
- Remembering to negotiate difficult matters in a real-time, face-to-face manner rather than through electronic means. (I definitely need to take this one on board!)
- Softening my approach with more introverted people
- Becoming more sensitive to the climate or situation and adjusting my intensity. (Yep!)
- Trying not to over-react. (Yep again!)
- Becoming more aware of my approach to others and its imapct on others. (Yep again!!)
I got this report as a result of a free online test. I'm adding a link to this site because I thought the report was interesting and maybe others might like to take the test too. There are a number of sites that actually sell the DISC test, but this one provides you with a pdf report and it is free.
Photo Credit: Paris Tour Eiffel Reflection by Luc Viatour