Today I went and tool at look at the National Council of Teachers of English website where there is a definition of 21st century literacies. There it states that "literacy has always been a collection of cultural and communicative practices shared among members of particular groups. As society and technology changes, so does literacy. Because technology has increased the intensity and complexity of literate environments, the 21st century demands that a literate person possess a wide range of abilities and competencies." I think that 5 of the 6 literacies outlined by NCTE are particularly relevant to our Quad Blogging action research with primary students:
- develop proficiency with the tools of technology
- build relationships with others to pose and solve problems collaboratively and cross-culturally
- design and share information for global communities to meet a variety of purposes
- create, critique, analyze and evaluate multi-media texts
- attend to the ethical responsibilities required by these complex environments
With just 4 more weeks to go before we start, I'm exciting and counting the days!