Creating Authentic Learning Opportunities
- Bringing real life experiences into the classroom via technology to engage students and prepare them for the future in a way that traditional educational practices are often failing to do.
Integrating Personalized Learning
- Personalized learning organized by and for the learner including apps, social media and related software.
- Adaptive learning which is intervention-focused, interpreting data about how a student is learning and responding by changing the learning environment based on these needs.
Complex Thinking and Communication
- It is essential for students to tackle complex problems and tasks, and that they use communication skills to apply their thinking in profound ways.
- Communication skills and social intelligence are essential for effective leadership.
Increased Privacy Concerns
- School leaders want to use data to improve learning outcomes, yet parents voice their apprehension about collecting data from K-12 students.
Competition from New Models of Education
- Competition from alternative schools and online programs.
Keeping Formal Education Relevant
- Schools must rethink the value of education from a student's perspective and consider what they can provide that cannot be replicated by other sources.
- Growing numbers of schools are using online resources to implement the flipped classroom approach so that time spent at school is focused on peer-to-peer and student-teacher interactions for problems solving.
- Schools can provide the environments for students to socialize and participate in extracurricular activities that enrich their minds and bodies.